So......Some of you may know that I have had it with Common Core. I feel for the teachers and staff that are trying to teach instead of teaching the kids how to take tests. Last week, October 12, 2015 I made the decision to pull beanie out of school.
WHAT WAS I THINKING??????????
There are a few benefits of having her home:
company and I can spend more time with her.
downside:
I am in front of a computer more now that I ever thought possible and I hate school work as much as she does.
We signed her up....alright...I signed her up...with k12.com. It's an on-line school that teaches the Florida standards instead of common core and the added bonus is she is learning cursive writing. (yay). Her books arrived last week via a 26 lb box and a 36 lb box. She was so excited she actually met the UPS driver at HIS TRUCK!!!!
It was like Christmas in October for this kid. Now that we have all her books and supplies, we can actively participate in all her classes instead of just following along and printing out a TON of paper. The first week was tough, but we made it through. Friday was AWESOME!!!! we were done with all the lessons by noon which gave up just under 2 hrs to play before we had to go get Logan from school.
It's awesome to watch her grow and learn. We learned about art (abstract and real) and we even went to an art exhibit where she stole the show talking about abstract art and real art! It was fun to watch her think about what she saw in a painting (though I think it helped that there are no right or wrong answers).
Yesterday was tough (Monday) and by tough I mean we finished school around 11:30pm. Why? she had no interest in finishing her class work before I left for school. This meant that when I came home we had one lesson that had to be completed before midnight.
It was fun.........not really.....it was a stand-off between daughter and teacher (learning coach). Guess who won?
ME! as if there was ever a doubt. She wanted to go to bed...but I wouldn't give in until the lesson was complete. She did the lesson and mastered it! What a girl. So what have I learned through all of this?
1- I can wait out her need not to do anything (i'll win)
2-I am stronger than I thought when it comes to putting my foot down
3-I really love spending time with my kids
So I am hoping that this week is better than last week, though Monday was not a good start. It's a learning process....for both of us!
No comments:
Post a Comment